Re: F8 k3b problem or just random glitch?

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 19:19:28 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 18:23:28 -0400
> Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I personally am not inclined to blame it on the
> > kernel unless some error message was changed and whatever k3b uses to keep
> > track of that stuff is now getting an answer it doesn't like or doesn't know
> > how to translate.
>
> It sure *seems* like some recent update, if not the kernel itself.
> I'm running the same fedora 8 system with the same hardware in which
> k3b previously had no problems at least trying to verify, but with
> the latest kernel I got the "no tracks" message.
>
> Plus the redhat bugzilla pointed at earlier in this thread says
> the bug disappears if an earlier kernel is booted with all else
> the same, and that really makes it seem like a kernel issue.

The bz ticket 440343 also quotes the difference in k3b log output between
the non-working and working kernel. In either case, the newer kernels
change something, which k3b can't cope with. Perhaps k3b is at fault and
can be corrected. If it has different means to wait for a drive to become
ready, it ought to implement them.

The s/n ratio in the bz ticket gets worse, unfortunately, as more and
more users are hit by this bug also in F9.

--
Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) - Linux 2.6.23.15-137.fc8
loadavg: 1.02 1.05 0.98