Re: How do I force the SATA drive to be /dev/sda when IDE drive is present?

reikred@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
I have an F7 system that has both a SATA drive and occasionally an IDE
drive  connected to it. The problem is that when the IDE drive is
connected, the system will make IDE=/dev/sda and SATA=/dev/sdb, and screw up my boot process.

if you boot a rescue disk, select to mount drives, most likely it will try to
set up sda for mount. let it. after mount, go to command line cd to /mnt
and rename 'boot' and 'etc' to 'dir1' and 'dir2'. reboot.

select mount again and sdb will be seen as 'active' drive. allow it to mount,
go to command line, cd to /mnt/etc and make changes to fstab so that boot
will be to sdb instead of sda. add sda to mount where ever you want.

cd to /mnt, then 'chroot .', run 'grub-install /dev/sda' to write a new boot
loader to sda.

after new boot is written, 'exit', 'rescue-gui', then select reboot and you
can then boot into sdb.

this is not a cure for your problem, but is a 'work around' that will at least
get you back up on sdb.

hth.

--

tc,hago.

.

in a free world without fences, who needs gates...