Re: Upgrade from 8 to 9: Yes or no ?

On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 09:05 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 12:42:43 +0100
> Timothy Murphy <gayleard@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > One slight problem with this is that if one shares /home
> > between the two versions this could conceivably cause problems.
>
> True. I usually use a fresh /home during testing, and only point
> to the old /home once I'm sure I want to switch. If I find problems
> after the switch, I can usually fix them by renaming any
> old ~/.<whatever> files or directories (if I can figure out
> which ones are causing the problems :-).

I've also found it very helpful to have a large partition that I just
keep mounting at ~/myJtuff in every distro. That way each distro can
create it's own .dirs and all my other stuff is still available but not
causing any conflicts. It means you have to use IMAP if you want to
share mail across distros, and you have to do a little dancing to have
common bookmarks, but all things are manageable somehow.
Not really the most elegant of solutions, but I've gotten used to it
over the years.

Andy