Re: Seems I have some real problems

Message: 13
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 17:35:11 -0700
From: "Daniel B. Thurman" <dant@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Seems I have some real problems....
To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>

<snip>

> Ugh.  I just removed all the livna stuff from my F8 and it appears
that I cannot install MythTV nor all of the other stuff I got from
livna.  Seems I cannot get everything I want from a single source
repository?

>This is the list that I removed from livna:

<list deleted>
>When I tried to install MythTV, I got:

>[root@gold dant]# yum install mythtv
>00:00
>primary.xml.gz            100% |=========================| 182 kB
00:02
>atrpms    : ################################################## 716/716
>Setting up Install Process
>Parsing package install arguments

<list deleted>
--> Running transaction check
---> Package libdc1394.i386 0:2.0.2-1.fc8 set to be updated
---> Package mythvideo.i386 0:0.21-190.fc8 set to be updated
--> Processing Dependency: transcode >= 0.6.8 for package: mythvideo
---> Package mytharchive.i386 0:0.21-190.fc8 set to be updated
--> Processing Dependency: transcode >= 1.0.2 for package: mytharchive
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
>Error: Missing Dependency: transcode >= 1.0.2 is needed by package
mytharchive
>Error: Missing Dependency: transcode >= 0.6.8 is needed by package mythvideo

>[root@gold dant]# yum install transcode
>Setting up Install Process
>Parsing package install arguments
>No package transcode available.
>Nothing to do

>Hmm....  I could not install transcode that the above is seeking as a
dependency.

>What gives?

You actually did not need to remove EVERYTHING which was sourced from livna. There are a number of packages which are only available there, but the majority of the things needed by mythtv are built by Axel and available on atrpms...including the mythtv metapackage. It is intriguing that the transcode dependency failed as transcode 1.0.5 is available on atrpms.

Are you sure you had atrpms enabled on that last try?...

If you go to:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Fedora_8_-_Package_Dependencies

you will see a long script which I wrote for myself some time ago and posted on the wiki. It's intended for a 'bare-metal' level install.

Just copy and paste the whole thing into a file and chmod the file to make it executable.

Note that first ou need the Fedora 'Everything'
repo enabled and the atrpms and livna repos available and enabled in your yum.repos.d directory. After you have updated against Fedora Everything, you run the script and it steps through moving the unwanted .repo files out of sight and installing (with yum) the packages which we want from atrpms. It then swaps atrpms for livna and picks up the remaining required packages. (And I am not sure that all of them are listed as there are some myth plugins I have never tried to use and thus never built).

This script does not install mythtv. I use SVN and compile myth separately. But when the script finishes you should be able to just enable atrpms and run 'yum install mythtv'.

Note that these lists do not include xine-non-free and other livna packages which you had installed but removed.

I suggest that you then browse to atrpms and individually select and install (with yum) any other non-myth packages you need, disable or move the atrpms.repo file, enable livna and then do the same: you should be down to only about a half dozen pacakges or so at that point which you can individually install with livna enabled.

Remember to disable BOTH atrpms and livna. Thereafter use --enable-repo on the yum command line and NEVER EVER use 'yum update' with either enabled.. That's just asking for the trouble you are now in....

Geoff