Re: tr problem

On 06/15/2008 11:04:07 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-06-15 at 19:29 +0930, Tim wrote:
> > Boxes of 2000 fan-fold sheets that lasted ages, and because you're
> not
> > putting sheets into a tiny hopper, you weren't forever adding paper
> > printer every other day.  Likewise with ribbons that lasted for
> years.
>
> Those were the days. I typed my PhD thesis in 'em', formatted it with
> 'nroff' and printed it on a Diablo. The figures were hand-drawn using
> stencil set.
>
> These young whippersnappers don't know what computing is all about
> :-)

Not familiar with 'em', I was stuck on using 'SOS' on an overloaded
PDP-10. It might not have been the same 'nroff' but the name was the
same. I was at least subsidized to use the Calcomp drum plotter.

OTOH, getting that Diablo to print that whole thing out was _painful_
and loud. And required working in the wee hours of the morning as the
system was marginally less overloaded then.