Re: Any hope of KDE 3.5 in F10?

On Sun, 2008-06-15 at 00:44 +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Mike Bird <mgb-fedora <at> yosemite.net> writes:
> > QUESTION TO DEVELOPERS: Is there any hope of a full KDE 3.5
> > in F10, plus an upgrade path from F8 to F10 that preserves
> > KDE 3.5 configurations?
>
> And a pony too? ;-)
>
> No, versions in Fedora normally move forward, not backwards, and KDE will be no
> exception.
>
> > KDE 4.0 is incomplete and not suitable for most users.
>
> Not true, it is completely usable.
>
> > KDE 4.1 will be incomplete and not suitable for most users.
>
> Even less true.
>
> > The KDE devels are debating whether KDE 4.2 will be usable.
>
> That's not true, many of them are already running 4.0 or 4.1 beta, and
> especially 4.1 is widely reported to be perfectly usable.
>
> > The pro-plasma crowd argue that it is theoretically possible
> > to implement a desktop by KDE 4.2, but that everyone should
> > change to using the folderview and forget about real desktops.
>
> The folderview _is_ a real desktop, it will even be set to display ~/Desktop by
> default.
>
> > Probably control center will be fixed by KDE 4.2.
>
> "Fixed" how? It already works fine.
>
> > It's debatable whether Dolphin will ever have the usability that
> > KDE 3.5 Konqueror had, but if it does it won't be until KDE 4.2
> > at the earliest.
>
> That's just not true. Both Dolphin and the embedded DolphinPart in Konqueror
> work just fine. Your complaint is also way too vague, you aren't saying what
> the usability problems you encountered are.
>
> > F9 already includes a usable KMenu to replace the KDE 4.0 joke,
> > although the usable KMenu is not the default.
>
> Well, some people actually like the new Kickoff menu. (For example, we had a
> vote among KDE maintainers for the default menu, it ended up 3-2 for the new
> one.) And if (like me) you don't like the new menu, the old one is just 2
> clicks away, so this is really the wrong thing to complain about.
>
> > I'm not a KDE developer but I do have users that need to get
> > work done and they are not interested in a religious conversion
> > to plasmoids.  After reading a lot of KDE developer discussions
> > my best guess is that KDE 4.3 is the earliest possibility for
> > most KDE users, but no guarantees.
>
> I think the KDE 4.1.x in F10 will be something rock solid for your users. IMHO
> the most annoying issue in F9 is the GTK+ systray icon problem (actually mostly
> harmless in practice, just annoying and ugly), which is being worked on
> upstream right now, so I expect that we'll be able to fix it in an F9 update a
> few days from now, and F10 will almost certainly not ship with that bug. Trust
> me, we know what the prime annoyances are and we're scrambling to get them
> fixed ASAP, just as we got the real showstoppers fixed before the F9 release.
>
> > This puts us in something of a quandary.  F9 KDE 4.0 is hugely
> > annoying to most KDE users.  F8 KDE 3.5 still works fine of
> > course but IIRC security updates will end in six months.

> [...]
----
I just want to say, thanks for all your efforts.

I am not entirely thrilled with KDE 4 on F9 but I don't see any need to
gripe about it but I am certainly not as distressed as the OP.

I will say this about KDE 4 and putting large numbers of users on
it...they do tend to use the Desktop to temporarily save files before
they move them to their permanent home and right now, the Desktop is a
dead space and one has to use Dolphin to move/delete files from the
Desktop. That is holding me back from pushing F9 onto a number of users'
computers.

Craig