Fedora 9 /dev/rtc missing

I have a dual boot Fedora 9 / Win XP Pro box.  I notice that when I
boot to fedora my time is wrong and "System Clock Uses UTC" is still
checked even though I unchecked it at install time.  When attempting
to clear the "UTC" check box and reset the time with
system-config-date I get the following error "Failed to synchronize
hardware clock.  This may be because there is no hardware clock
accessible, e.g. when running in a virtualized environment".  I am not
running in a virtualized environment so I checked the output of the
following:

  hwclock --debug --show

and got the following response

  hwclock from util-linux-ng 2.13.1
  hwclock: Open of /dev/rtc failed, errno=2: No such file or directory.
  No usable clock interface found.
  Cannot access the Hardware Clock via any known method.

I ran dmesg | grep /dev/rtc and got no hits, I booted hit del to enter
setup and checked the cmos menu in order to look at the clock and it
seemed right so I don't think the battery has failed.

output of uname -r is

  2.6.25.6-55.fc9.x86_64

Does the list have any ideas?