Re: tr problem

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

The manpage (and pinfo tr too) is, shall we say, completely lacking
in how to handle the file I/O.

Plus, you probably have a program called dos2unix installed...
Oops, I should have read past the word 'legacy' which must not have meant what I thought.
tr '\r' '\n'
should work.
More like:

    cat input-filename | tr '\r' '\n' >output-filename

Not so?  tr is a filter.
It reads stdin and writes stdout, like most unix command line programs. The shell will connect those to whatever you want with |'s or <>'s. Using cat with a pipe is a waste of a process, though. tr can read it's own input just as well with <input-filename.

Quite true, but I remember a remark in one of the classic Unix papers to
the effect that people somehow found the 'cat foo | ' syntax more
natural.

I suppose you get used to using cat when there are multiple input files that you want to combine.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx