Re: How can we speed up rpm downloads?

On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 13:54 -0400, Justin Conover wrote:
<snip>
> Ok, everyone in this thread is replying to OOO, that was not my
> intent.  If you compare the speed of getting updates in debian and
> fedora, debian is much faster.  Forget package size at this point.  Is
> it parallel downloads maybe.
>
> My main deal here is about the speed in which it takes to download all
> updates and install.  I was merely trying to understand why debian
> seems to be much faster.
>
> I've been a loyal Fedora user since RH 6.2 or some were in there :) so
> I'm not leaving, just trying to understand when i play with it once in
> awhile it just handles downloads differently.

To answer your original questions about deltarpms, yes I am still
updating the presto test repositories.  To give you an idea of the
savings, the deltarpm from openoffice.org-core-2.4.0 to 2.4.1 is 7MB.
You just need to follow the directions on the presto site to set it up
correctly.  And ignore the reported download size when yum asks for
confirmation: that number doesn't count deltarpms.

Jonathan