Re: How can we speed up rpm downloads?

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:54 AM, drago01 <drago01@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 5:42 PM, Justin Conover
<justin.conover@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Guess I answered my own question earlier, I ran gzip on openopfice.org-core
> and it went from 84MB to 83MB.
rpms are already compressed.

> Fairly loaded question, don't say get a better ISP, I have a very fast
> connection at home, and this d/l view was taken at work with an extremely
> fat pipe.  The problem is size of rpm's being downloaded.
>
> Debian seems to d/l much faster, not exact version but you can get some idea
> size wise.
>
> http://packages.debian.org/etch/openoffice.org-core
>
> wget
> http://security.debian.org/debian-security/pool/updates/main/o/openoffice.org/openoffice.org-core_2.0.4.dfsg.2-7etch5_amd64.deb
>
> There package is 34MB.
>
> This is an example of one of the larger apps out there I realize that, I
> just grabbed the last one to use as an example.  At 34MB it still takes
> time, but .deb is 50MB cheaper that the .rpm.

you are comparing two different packages (2.0.4 and 2.4)

--

Here 38MB, still close to 50MB cheaper.

http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/o/openoffice.org/openoffice.org-core_2.4.1-2_amd64.deb

http://packages.debian.org/sid/amd64/openoffice.org-core/download