RE: I HATE Evolution ! Thunderbird ?

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 12 June 2008 15:22:54 Chris Jones wrote:
> > > I've been using kmail for several years.  Tried evo and
> hated it - of
> > > course that was years ago, so it may be quite different
> now.  Tried
> > > Thunderbird, but there were too many things in kmail that
> I couldn't do
> > > in t'bird, so here I stay :-)
> >
> > I also used to use kmail a lot but eventually gave up on it
> due to its
> > imap support not being that good (IMHO). Does it still
> force the user to
> > choose when setting up an imap account between 'imap' and
> 'disconnected
> > imap' ? Either you choose 'imap' where messages are only
> downloaded as
> > they are needed, but you have no offline support, or 'disconnected
> > imap', where they are available offlne, but kmail insists
> you download
> > them *all*, not just as and when you read them. This always
> seemed an
> > insane choice to me
> >
> > I now use thunderbird which has the best of both, offline
> support and
> > download on demand...
> >
> > I hope kmail's imap support gets some attention in KDE4, if
> it does then
> > I might go back ...
> >
> In 3.5.x online IMAP works well, and I really wouldn't want
> the amount of list
> traffic I read to be off-line IMAP, so that doesn't worry me.
>  It's true that
> there are some issues with off-line IMAP, particularly if you include
> addressbook and calendar etc..  Some people get it working
> perfectly, but
> many don't.
>
> I, too, look forward to the new pim, but it may be next year
> before it
> arrives.
>
> (I wonder if Daniel was using dimap when he complained of
> multiple copies of
> messages?  That's the reason I gave up, when I tested it.)

As I am writing from M$-Outlook, I found that Evo (and possibly
KMail), filled up my inbox folders expotentally with multiple
copies of multiple emails.  I had to shut down all email clients
on F8 to see if the problem stops.  So far, it has been quiet.

I noticed this behavior before, when running Evo (connector)
and Kmail(IMAP) but forgotten because I was using Outlook for
a long time due to circumstances, but once I went back to
working on F8 I needed to have email there as well and that is
when the SHTF.  Oh, my... that's right - that is why I dropped
Evo for Kmail for Thunderbird, none which worked well for me,
each having it's own particulars.

I think I'll try seakmonkey next, and see what it offers.

Dan