Re: Ripping music CDs - program that is good with multiple optical drives

Craig White wrote:
On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 10:55 -0400, Marland V. Pittman wrote:
Hello Fedora Users I need some suggestions for ripping CDs.
----
I ended up using iTunes on one of my Windows systems in my office that I
rarely use...set it up to scan and eject.
That's exactly the experience I'm looking for. Heck, I'd bring a box into work with a "done" spool and a binder full of CDs and just run a headless ripper, if I didn't think my colleagues would start tripping out. Maybe I should just rip to .wma on the work laptop and give up on the dream... :(
It makes sense to rip them to uncompressed wav files but storage becomes
a major hurdle because uncompressed is approximately 700 megabytes per
CD and in my case, 420 Gigabytes of storage in uncompressed format. The
benefit of having them uncompressed is that you get full fidelity for
local playback but can write a simple shell script to compress a copy of
them for the format of the moment (AAC/MP3/FLAC), without losing any
quality which is a problem if you want to convert from AAC <=> MP3 <=>
WMA formats which all involve loss.

Yeah, I do have plenty of drives, but I really don't want to use them for storing uncompressed music. I've got the CDs, so I guess I shouldn't worry too much about having "originals". If the whole point is really being in a non-proprietary format, then I shouldn't have to change it all the time.
Also, check out the Nokia N810 (I don't know which formats it supports
but scores high on cool).

I may look into it. I'm kind of set on something like the Asus "triple e" or one of the soon to be released knock-offs as a portable machine and music player.
I don't know how practical it would be to try to rip more than one CD at
a time - even with multiple processors but perhaps someone else has
tried.
Yeah, that's kind of the whole point for me. In sequence is fine, but I don't want to have to go to the gui, and specify what drive it should rip from. I had really good experiences with Windows Media Player and iTunes in that respect.