Re: F9 Networkmanager and zeroconf

NB:  This is NOT a top posting list.

hanpingtian@xxxxxxxxx:
> even I close the iptables, NM cannot get IP address from avahi.

What do you mean by "close the iptables"?

If you stop the iptable services, then the firewall is disabled, and all
traffic should be allowed.  But if you try to disable the firewall using
the configuration gadget's disable option, it doesn't actually disable
the firewall (it's broken).  Alternatively, one can issue manual
iptables rules on the command line, and flush the rules away.

If you have managed to turn off your firewall, then you should be able
to check using the iptables command.  You'll get an output like this:

 [root@gonzales ~]# iptables -L
 Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

 Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

 Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

With the default policy being to accept traffic, and no rules to the
contrary.

For what it's worth, I had a bit of a fiddle around the other day, and
didn't get avahi working no matter what I tried.  I'm sure that I
haven't exhausted all the possible things to try, but all the obvious
things didn't get me anywhere.

Also, for what it's worth, a firewall really shouldn't stop a computer
from assigning itself an IP address using the zeroconf scheme.  In this
scheme, the computer will assign itself a random address if no DHCP
server gave it one, and it will probe around on the network to check
that it's not assigning itself the same address as something else.  It
should still be able to assign itself an address even if there are no
other computers on the network at the time.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.4-30.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.