Re: I HATE Evolution ! Thunderbird ?

Rick Stevens wrote:
I believe mbox would be much slower.  Deleting a thread would force the
system to search through the entire file to find the messages, delete
them, then compact the file to close up the space (there'd be a lot of
fairly big holes in that file).

Compacting only happens if the user chooses to compact the folder, or if the user has chosen for the folder to be compacted if it will save a certain amount of disk space. It doesn't happen automatically unless configured to.

Furthermore, the actual messages are not deleted, just marked as deleted until the folder is compacted. Even if they are moved to the Trash. Again, space from messages deleted from the Trash is not recovered until the Trash folder is compacted.

In maildir format, it only has to drop the files containing the threaded
messages.  The holes in the folder index would be much smaller and
easier to compact.

Directories don't compress if you have to add inodes and requires more directory entries, the system never reclaims them. You might need that many again.... However the disk space from the deleted files becomes immediately available.

I've never compared the two with actual data, but the logic seems sound.
But then again, I used to eat library paste when I was a kid.  You can't
go by me.  :-)
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                       rps2@xxxxxxxx -
- Hosting Consulting, Inc.                                           -
-   Errors have occurred. We won't tell you where or why.  We have   -
-                         lazy programmers.                          -

Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx
cummings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
cummings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx