compiz w/ i965 video and horrible cpu usage

I recently just rebuilt a laptop with FC9 from FC8.  When I start compiz
I get a massive cpu of about 50 and 75%.  The culprit always is the Xorg
process.  Even simple scrolling text (ie. dmesg output) takes about 10
seconds to come back, whereas metacity is instant.  When compiz is
enabled, i also get digusting stats from glxgears as well, but only when
I am doing things like moving windows, etc.  On the other hand, glxgears
is solid with about 100fps when not using compiz.  I have tried
disabling various plugins via ccsm to the point of where it looks pretty
much identical to metacity, but the perf problem still persists.
Previously I didn't notice any issues with FC8 on the same laptop.  I
would be suprised if the hardware is the issue, its a dual core 2.2 w/
4G ram.  I have even tried some 3rd party compiz repositories that are a
little bit more bleeding edge with the versions and i still have the
same issue.

Is there anyone else out there using FC9's compiz on one of these intel
video cards?

Do you notice similar poor performance?

Currently, I am using:

compiz-0.7.5-10.fc9.x86_64

[jpriddy@boatanchor ~]$ glxinfo | grep direct
direct rendering: Yes

[jpriddy@boatanchor ~]$ dmesg | grep agp
Linux agpgart interface v0.103
agpgart: Detected an Intel 965GM Chipset.
agpgart: Detected 7676K stolen memory.
agpgart: AGP aperture is 256M @ 0xe0000000