ATI, F8 and momentary black screen

I just installed an ATI card in a computer that's running F8.  The monitor that
it's attached to is an older LCD monitor (Benq FP547) with a native resolution
of 1024x768.

When I booted it up after installing the proprietary driver from Livna, the
login screen and the user's desktop looked horizontally squashed.  I discovered
that the resolution was set to 1280x768.  (The users manual for this monitor
says the maximum resolution is 1024x768; I just checked.  I'm a bit surprised
that it works at all in 1280x768.)

I fixed it for the user's desktop by using "system-preferences-hardware-screen
resolution" tool to set the desktop resolution to 1024x768.  However, the login
screen is, of course, still 1280x768 and squashed.

The second (possibly related) problem is that the screen goes blank for about a
half-second every so-often (so-often being maybe once in a couple of hours),
possibly after the user moves the mouse.  It just blinks out, then comes right
back.  I asked the user if she's doing anything unusual and she said no, just
reading web pages and checking email.

What could be the problem here?