eth 0 Problem

Registered: May 2008
eth0 :error fetching interface information

I was unable install redhat linux 9.x on my machine and the installation was hanging at "probing pci hardware(bus00)" message
So After googling i found an answer and i was suggested to use "linux all-generic-ide irqpoll pci=nommconf"
.
with ABOVE suggesstion ,i could install linux on my machine.
but i ve to edit my grub.conf kernel paramter.
i.e i had to append "linux all-generic-ide irqpoll pci=nommconf" flag to kerenel parameter as i ve installed the OS using same flag else OS is nt getting loaded.

But due to the above way of installation,my NIC is not detected.

ive entere below command
#ifconfig eth0 101.33.122.33

and the error is "eth0:error fetching interface informaiton"

my ethernet card is workng properly and the drivers are also available,
as i can see my driver name(e1000) through lsmod and also my device through lspci.
But why has this error occured and how to recover.

Please suggest me a solution.

Thank you