Re: Fedora 2.6.22 or later kernel on Centos 5.1

Nataraj wrote:
Is it possible to run a 2.6.22 or later tickless kernel supporting the
Vmware VMI 3.0 on a Centos 5.1 system?  I had in mind using a fedora
kernel for this purpose.

I don't know what it takes to support vmware vmi 3.0. When I attempt to deviate from the the kernels supplied I get a vanilla kernel.org kernel and compile it using the same config file that was used on the original kernel, possibly changing a few settings to be close to what I need.

Read up on what is required to compile and install a vanilla kernel on Centos and try that first. I would probably do 2.6.25.4, I am running that on a F7 machine, and a number of the kernel developers regularly compile and use new kernels on various Centos and Fedora versions.

This should be decent start, though some of the instructions don't count for Centos 5.x series (they are Centos 4.x specific-specifically the mpt* notes):

http://howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_centos

Is there an easy way to know in general which kernel releases are
compatible with libraries/installed packages from particular linux
distributions?

In general almost no packages depend on the kernel. UDEV, and any kernel hardware modules are about the only things that actually care that the kernel changes. Everything else interacts through the kernel through fairly standard interfaces that don't change for different kernel versions.

                          Roger