Re: Mono sound only, PulseAudio and Fedora 9... or "where's system-config-sound?"

On Mon, 2008-06-02 at 21:36 +0300, Antti Aspinen wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 00:27:52 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> > Sorry, Antti. I'm still running F7 and I have no clue. I pine for
> > simpler days and feel your pain. This may be even more clueless,
> but....
>
> Thanks for the message Ric. It gave me one of the brightest ideas for a
> few days. And by the way, my computer is not laptop. Thank god for that.
>
> I blacklisted (into /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist) the drivers (added lines
> for snd_via82xx and snd_via82xx_modem among with that webcam) and got my
> sounds back after lifting DAC and DAC2 volumes up. Wooohoo. Man I was
> already willing to pull rawhide to check out if it was a bug already
> fixed in somewhere. Thanks. :-)

...trouble shooting with a shotgun sometimes works! I'm glad for you!

> Now if only I could make ETQW spout something instead of being silent
> because of PulseAudio. In Fedora 8 I could add "load-module
> module-alsa-sink device=plug:dmix:0" into /etc/pulse/default.pa but now
> it causes PulseAudio server to crash at startup. I've got couple of
> suggestions and one did almost work I got sound but it caused also lots
> of "idAudioHardwareALSA::Write: 2648 frames overflowed and dropped"
> errors and in general bad audio quality. It would be great if Fedora
> would try to become the platform for Gnu/Linux gamers since no
> distripution has tried it before exept for Gentoo of course.

That's all I ever wanted. Sound out of my speakers. You would think it
would be something made rock-solid stable many versions of Fedora
before ...then left alone. The less layers of crap and code between the
file and the speakers is good for me. :) Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
https://oar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 336-254-1339