Re: From Grip to Sound Juicer

On dimanche 1 juin 2008, Michael Wiktowy wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 1:13 PM, Francois <frmas@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Using Fedora 9, Grip no longer works on my system. I've switched to
> > Sound Juicer and get *.flac files.
> > Is there a tool to convert "flac" file to "mp3" files ? I do not want
> > to produce mp3 files directly from sound juicer, as I can't find a way
> > to tell it to produce 320 bitrate files; Thank you. Francois
>
> I am not sure why you can't use Grip anymore. Runs fine on my F9 box.
> I haven't tried encoding anything with it lately though ...

I can't  play any CD with grip using Fedora 9. It worked fine with Fedora 7
and 6, and when I switched from F7 to F9, grip freezes my system when I
want to play a CD. It extracts just fine.
I have another pb but with XMMS and Fedora 9. Xmms, if I want to stop it
playing a song, or when I want to jump to another song, it freezes my
system and I have to reboot. I've used xmms for years before, and to me,
it's my big regret with fedora9.

> Regardless, with Sound Juicer it is more opaque to do but you should
> certainly be able to change your mp3 encoding profile to produce
> better output just as easily either by improving the default VBR
> quality by changing the gst pipeline to be:
>
> audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2 ! lame name=enc mode=0
> vbr-quality=0 ! id3v2mux
>
> Strangely enough lower vbr-quality number is better ... I would think
> a better name would be vbr-compression or something like that ... but
> anyways ...
>
> Also, if you want to use CBR at 320 kbps, use the following gst pipeline:
>
> audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2 ! lame name=enc mode=1
> bitrate=320 ! id3v2mux

I used to use this command line using grip :
"-V 0 --noreplaygain -b %b -m s %w %m"
with "kbits_per_sec 224"

So if I want to adjust it to what you said, is it correct that way :
audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2 ! lame name=enc mode=0
vbr-quality=0 bitrate=224 noreplaygain ! id3v2mux
???

another question : "mode 0" .. I suppose it means "variable bitrate"? "mode
1" is ??

> GStreamer is extremely flexible but I haven't found a good reference
> for putting together a sane pipeline and what kind of options each
> segment has.
>
> I got this info from the following post and linked screencast:
> http://abock.org/2007/01/06/audio-profile-configuration-for-the-masses/
>
> I am not sure why a handy pipeline editor like that isn't already
> included in Sound Juicer.

It would help, certainly ;-)
Francois