Fedora 9 & runlevel 3

I have never liked starting in X. I like to start in runlevel 3 and start if, and when I want with startx.

I have fixed /etc/inittab. The boot sequence looks like it will start in runlevel 3. All the messages show right up to login in tty1. The login prompt lasts about half a second, then the screen goes blank, the mouse pointer appears with the circling moons on the black tty screen, and gdm then wants my login. I log in, open a terminal, run runlevel and it answers with number 5.

It looks like it has booted in runlevel 3, but something is then running "telinit 5". I've searched recent mails to this list, and I've searched the startup scripts, /etc/rc.d/rc3.d, etc., but have not been able to find anything. Any suggestions?

Bob