Re: Why!! does End Session default to Runlevel 3

On Saturday 31 May 2008 01:55:14 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 23:54 +0000, g wrote:
> > > # Run xdm in runlevel 5
> > > x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon
> >
> > tells what you have for 'x-windows' manager.
>
> Pedantry alert: prefdm configures the *desktop* manager (KDE, Gnome,
> whatever), of which the X window manager is just a part (usually kwm or
> metacity for KDE and Gnome respectively).

I don't know whether there's any relevance or not, but I tried to install
rawhide (pre-F9) onto a laptop with very low resources and a PCMCIA network
connection.  I couldn't get the network connection to work - the drivers
would not install.  On that system 'end session' always landed me at a text
login.

Installing from the same disks onto a more modern box, where everything was
recognised, didn't have the same problem.

Anne