RE: Thunderbird: Cannot send email but can read emails

On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 14:47 -0700, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> | Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> | > I cannot figure out how to get thunderbird to send
> | > out email.
> | >
> | > Please advise?
> | ----
> | Edit (menu) => Account Settings => Outgoing Server SMTP
> |
> | Select the setup you have and click 'Edit'
> |
> | By default, Thunderbird uses 'authentication' on
> | sending...this can be a
> | problem with some setups.
>
> What is odd, it seems, that when you create an IMAP
> account, in the "Server Settings" area, there is a
> "Security Settings" section there where authenication
> can be defined, however, there is also a "Outgoing
> Server (SMTP)" section that has a "Security And
> Authenication" section which duplicates it, ie the
> "None", "TLS, if available", ...
>
> What is not clear to me in the "Outgoing Server (SMTP)"
> section, "Use name and password", how do you enter both
> the username and password in this single field? What is
> the delimiter? A space between the two?

Enter the username only. The first time you send a message you will be
asked for the password, with an option to store it locally IIRC.

> I have configured my Exchange server to allow all local
> only relays, and I even see the log entries identifying
> connections, and there appears in it, no errors as to
> failed deliveries.  It seems very transparent.
>
> I have no clue where the problem is, I get no returned
> failed delivery return messages.  It is very transparent,
> or so it seems.
>
> I wonder if I should use F8's sendmail for Outbound
> deliveries on the F8 system, providing I have the option
> to bypass the IMAP account's Outgoing server settings.

You could but it's probably going to be harder to configure. An easier
alternative is to do SMTP directly to your ISP's server and bypass
Exchange, assuming there isn't an internal firewall preventing you from
doing that.

poc