Re: F8 -> F9 horror

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
2008/5/30 scm in seattle <scmsea@xxxxxxxxx>:
Surely you can, in some manner... as I replied much earlier, I had by
mistake enabled the Rawhide development repository.

yum can only do what you asked/told it to do.  If you enable the rawhide
or testing repos and there's newer stuff in there, well...

I suppose you could have had a yum plugin like "protectbase" active and
put in things that specify ".fc8" only.

The scary thing is that the normal/typical update manager found these
packages and proceeded to 'upgrade' my system. In effect I went from F8 to
F10 in a blink of 500mb... and of course it doesn't work.

How is that scary? Isn't the update manager supposed to the most
recent packages available to it?

One could install the "allowdowngrade" plugin and downgrade that way.
I've never used it, but it may be a way out of the current conundrum.