Re: F7 -> F9 preupgrade problems. Can't start X

---- Jonathan Baron <baron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> I tried system-config-display and it didn't help, but I did it
> remotely.  This is my office computer, which I almost never use except
> as a (very busy) web server.  I manage it by connecting from
> elsewhere, including my laptop, which I use even at work.  So I tried
> system-config-display through vnc (which worked).  I'll try again the
> next time I'm in front of it.  Meanwhile, we can see what comes of my
> bug report.  I'll let you know if I learn anything useful.  But I
> suspect it is a bug and will eventually get fixed.  Until I read your
> post, I thought my video card had died.

There are definitely bugs associated with display setup. When I tried to set up my second monitor using the GUI (System->Administration->Display), it just sits there when you hit the OK button; the GUI never updates anything. Several people have reported this. I have also tried an xorg.conf file that crashed setroubleshootd!!! No answers on that one either.

Something else you might want to try is to remove your xorg.conf file (rename it) and then reboot. The new X server is supposed to be able to determine what configuration it needs by looking at your hardware.