F8 -> F9 horror

I have been using F8 for a while now and simply put it was the only distro that supported my laptop (fairly) well.

Today I accepted what appeared to be 'typical' updates. The size of the update concerned me slightly (500Mb) but turned to horror when it finished and I rebooted.

My useful KDE3 system has been replaced by KDE4! Not only that but X won't start because the previously installed Theme cannot be found. Oh and a minor issue - my net card no longer works.

I'd like to point out that KDE4, by it's own authors is not intended to be for mainstream use:

http://en.opensuse.org/KDE4

"KDE 4.0 is only expected to be used by early adopters, not every KDE 3.5 user (and IMHO KDE 4.0 shouldn't be pushed onto other user types like planned for Kubuntu ShipIt [btw said to have only 6 months support for its packages])."

But pushed (more like shoved) I was and I now have a completely unusable, broken system that I have reply upon daily for development. Everyone is jumping on the KDE4 band-wagon but the wagon is missing three wheels. This is a complete disaster of a decision to make KDE4 the default install and sets-back Linux for anyone but the 'bleeders'.

KDE4 should NEVER be installed over KDE without explicit permission of the user. Ever. Period.