Re: F9 network configuration bug?

On Tue, 27 May 2008 16:03:05 -0400, David Mozurkewich wrote:

> I just added a second computer behind my netgear WGR614v4 router.  I
> installed Fedora 9.  My last install was FC5 so there is much in F9 that
> is unfamiliar to me.  To avoid introducing errors, I used all the
> defaults during the installation except disk partitions.  After the
> reboot, ifconfig shows eth0 active with the correct IP address
>
>  $ /sbin/ifconfig
> eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:1D:7D:E9:09:8B
>           inet addr:192.168.0.4  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
>           inet6 addr: fe80::21d:7dff:fee9:98b/64 Scope:Link UP BROADCAST
>           RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1492  Metric:1 RX packets:1356 errors:0
>           dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:642 errors:0 dropped:0
>           overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
>           RX bytes:118973 (116.1 KiB)  TX bytes:71977 (70.2 KiB)
>           Interrupt:16
>
> lo        ...
>
> Also, the system->administration->network->DNS gui shows the correct
> primary and secondary DNS addresses.  Since this computer's IP address
> and the DNS addresses are set by the router, I'm led to think that both
> the hardware is working and the kernel recognizes it.  In addition, I
> can ping each computer from the other.  The first ping takes 1 to 2
> seconds followed by ~0.25 ms responses.  Perhaps a bit slow, but not
> significant for most of what I need to do.
>
> So what can go wrong?  If I ssh or scp between the computers, I get the
> immediate, expected complaint about the authenticity of the RSA key.  I
> say it is okay, then after no response for about 90 seconds, I get a
> password prompt and a fast connection thereafter.  I did a large file
> transfer at 10 MB/sec.  For these commands (ping, ssh, scp) I referred
> to the other computer by its IP address on the local network, not by its
> name.
>
> If the slow start-up were the only problem, I could probably get by but
> I cannot connect from the new computer to either the router's setup page
> on my local network or to *any* address in the outside world (either by
> name or IP address).  Ping just gives no response while Firefox
> eventually says "Address not found".
>
> To me, this has the feel of a configuration problem, presumably with
> networkManager but beyond that, I'm baffled.  My apparently flawed
> reasoning tells me that by successfully initializing the connection
> (getting the IP and DNS addresses from the router), networkManager
> demonstrates it knows how to talk to the hardware yet it fails to do so
> when the connection is actually needed.
>
> The networkManager home page, (www.gnome.org/projects/NetworkManager/)
> claims the configuration is automated and gives no debugging hints.  I
> tried going through the menus in both KDE and gnome as well as the files
> in etc/sysconfig but this approach seems futile without good
> documentation for what each of these does, which are associated with the
> NetworkManager service and which are just for the network service. Also,
> [...]

Can your other machines go out? What happens if you turn off the firewall
on the new one? Do you have to do something in the router to make it
forward the incoming packets to your pc? Normally you shouldn't have to.
What happens if you configure the network manually (system-config-network)
and turn off NM?

You can try to look at the packets with wireshark and see if you can
figure out what it's waiting for.