Re: Fedora 9 - Slow GUI Response

On Wed, 28 May 2008 08:19:10 -0400, Jeffrey Ross wrote:

> Manish Kathuria wrote:
>> I upgrade my existing Fedora 8 x86_64 installation to Fedora 9 using
>> yum successfully but I am facing some problems related to the GUI. I
>> use GNOME as the desktop environment and ever since I have upgraded to
>> Fedora 9, the response time of the GUI has slowed. There is an
>> increased delay when the windows are refreshed and when I change from
>> one workspace to another one. The applications most frequently used by
>> me include evolution, firefox, open office and the gnome terminal
>> besides a few others and the delay is noticeable in case of all of
>> them.
>>
>> I am using a Core 2 Duo based Dell Vostro laptop with a 15.4" LCD and
>> an Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller
>> and the display resolution is set at 1280 x 800 at 24 bits. The display
>> adapter has been configured to use the "intel" driver.
>>
>> Has anyone experienced a similar problem or any such issue ? Any
>> comments and suggestions ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Manish
>>

> Best I can tell you is it seems to be a problem with the Intel video
> driver, I have the same problem on my desktop machine with an Intel
> driver ( mine is an Intel 82G965).
>
> glxgears gets me roughly 1050 fps, pretty pitiful.  Unfortunately I
> don't have a solution for you.
>
> Jeff

Same here, onboard Intel 82865G, using the intel driver (as opposed to
i815 that it used before F9).  Slow but usable under compiz. Ok with
metacity (no games though).

glxgears
Failed to initialize TTM buffer manager.  Falling back to classic.
6199 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1239.664 FPS
2543 frames in 5.0 seconds = 508.400 FPS
2306 frames in 5.0 seconds = 461.152 FPS
2313 frames in 5.0 seconds = 462.475 FPS
2309 frames in 5.0 seconds = 461.644 FPS