Re: Mysteries of sound in Fedora-9

Tim:
>> If you catted a raw audio format, rather than a compressed one, to
>> the sound device, you ought to hear sound.

Timothy Murphy:
> I gather that .wav is an uncompressed format (according to
> <http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Computer_Science/2005/digital_audio_formats.asp>),
> but I just hear white noise if I cat this,
> while I hear the sound properly with aplay:

While that's uncompressed, it's not the *raw* data needed by the sound
device, it's formatted data, so you'll still hear noise.

I can't say that I know what raw format would be needed, though.
Someone else would have to chime in about that.  This is why we have
device drivers, to provide the particular data wanted by the hardware.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.15-80.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.