Re: realplayer, streams blocked in fedora 9

joelvsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I am running Fedora 9 and I have been trying to use realplayer 11 and kaffeine to play streams. after disabling the firewall and selinux i still cannot remedy the problem.

[snip]

I have looked at
system -> preferences -> hardware -> sound and volume control

everything is unmuted.

the only thing that seems weird is that the system -> preferences -> hardware -> sound -> sound capture -> test does not produce a sound. is there something i am missing here that is interfering with realplayer and other streams from working. kaffeine makes contact with an internet radio stream but there is no sound. i believe i tried to get mplayer to play at the stream as well.
---

I just found some notes about mplayer and fedora 9 which suggested that mplayer should be configured with pulse audio and not alsa.  i changed real player to use OSS and not alsa and now it works...  but it seems to me that oss sounds more muddy than the default sound system.

is there any way to improve the sound quality?

Configuration issues. The fact you can play through OSS says that alsa is working fine because OSS is now just an emulation level running on top of alsa. That is probably why it doesn't sound as good, one more layer of processing.

As far as configuration goes, any sound server you have running will block alsa apps from connecting. I doubt it will help much, but could you run the script at this location
http://hg.alsa-project.org/alsa/raw-file/tip/alsa-info.sh
and then post back the link so that people can see your sound setup? The script scans your machine and extracts out things relevant for diagnosis and puts them on a website. It gives you a link to the information that you can post here. You can try removing the package pulseaudio-alsa and see if realplayer will then play through alsa. That should improve your sound quality. But if realplayer has a plugin for pulseaudio, and pulseaudio is running, it should have played when you used the pulseaudio plugin.