Re: RAID 1 and recovery

James Thorpe writes:

Hi List,

Been searching for a while for an answer to this, and have started experimenting with a fresh install, but not found a way yet. Basically I'm building a small home server, primarily to act as a file store. It's got a drive for the OS, and 2 further drives which I wish to set up in a RAID 1 array to use for the store. All the info I've managed to find so far to do with recovery from this is when just a drive in the array fails, however I'm also concerned about the box as a whole, and I'd like to know if it's possible to take a single drive from the array, put it into another machine and be able to read from it? Eg just as a normal ext3 partition etc?

I see no reason why this would not work. This wouldn't be any different than having only one drive in a RAID-1 come up. There is no functional difference between a drive that's physically missing, and one's that's out of service.

The tricky part would be getting the new machine to boot off the drive. The exact steps needed to do that depend on the hardware (IDE or SCSI), and how grub is set up.

Generally speaking, if you take two drives in RAID-1, and use grub-install twice to install the grub bootloader on both hard drives' boot sector, you should then be able to take any drive into another machine and boot off it. Linux will come up with the RAID-1 in degraded mode, but it should boot up. If you have a spare, second drive in the new machine, you should be able to carefully partition it in exactly the same layout as your transplanted hard drive, add the partition to their arrays, and the kernel will proceed and sync everything up.