SCIM and other Problem in XFCE in FC9

Hello Friends

I am using SCIM on Fedora for around two years. In Fedora 7 and
then 8, everything was working as fine as it could be.

All this time I was working with SCIM, which I use for changing to and
fro between Bangla (Bengali) keyboard layout 'Probhat' for Bangla texts
and the US English layout as the default one.

After I upgraded to Fedora 9, in two machines, the SCIM thing is not
working. I  have used 'im-chooser' to choose this input method. I have
checked with the 'scim-setup' but with no avail. No application in XFCE
will get the SCIM keyboard switcher (Ctrl+Space) activated. Claws-mail,
mousepad, OpenOffice -- nothing, in all which I regularly used Bangla
keyboard before.

When I installed Gedit, or Mousepad from XFCE, which is a fork of Gedit
if I am remembering correctly, from the context menu option for
choosing input method, after I choose SCIM there the CTRL-Space switch
is working. But, then again when I log out and come back to XFCE with
'startx', again I have to do the same thing in Gedit or Mousepad context
menu. Though all this type the SCIM icon is there on the task bar. And
the icon is showing the usual context menu, but not the usual keyboard
list.

After the Gedit experience I installed Gnome things with 'yum
groupinstall gnome-desktop' and I am getting SCIM properly there,
everything OK. But, I want XFCE.

Am I doing something wrong, something has changed in Fedora 9 version
of XFCE? Or, is it some problem?

After I reported this problem to the XFCE mailing list, friends there
told me that in their recently updated XFCE too SCIM is working fine,
so maybe it is a problem of the FC9-build.

There are other problems with XFCE too, like the right-click->quit or
the taskbar icon-> quit, as usual, is showing three options, 'log-out',
'restart' and 'shutdown', but all of them are actually doing 'log-out',
and when back on the init 3 command prompt, before it comes back, there
is a message about some SCIM-mcs error or something. And it all worked
fine till FC 7 and 8. I used it everyday both on my laptop and my
desktop.

In our local linux user group (GLT-madhyamgram) more than one of my
friends are having the same problem with XFCE quit. And they don't use
SCIM and hence that I could not report.

Maybe my reports were too non-technical, but see, I am no developer. If
you want some particular output I can send you, to list or otherwise.
--
das
ddts.randomink.org