Re: Fedora-9 minor issue #4

On Sat, 2008-05-24 at 17:36 -0700, charles f. zeitler wrote:
> --- Timothy Murphy <gayleard@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Sometimes - about once a day - when I click on a panel icon
> > my Fedora-9 + KDE system stops responding.
> > The mouse moves but cannot activate anything.
> >
> > The only solution I have found is Ctr-Alt-Backspace
> > which restarts X (as I understand).
> >
> > 1) Do others share this experience?
> >
> > 2) Is there any less drastic solution than Ctr-Alt-Backspace?
>
> have you tried pressing just the Ctr key?
----
I remarked on this the other day...you can always try
<Control><Alt><F1>
to go to a virtual console and <Alt><F7> to come back...this often
works.

I think what I am seeing is a big jump in CPU usage in Plasma and X
sometimes when you switch desktops in KDE-4. This problem was much worse
when I was...

- running with only 512MB RAM
- running Firefox after using Acrobat plugin (which doesn't
  seem to let go well)
- prior to KDE-4 updates 3 days ago or so

Craig