Re: KDE 4.0 desktop... can I... back to KDE 3.5.9 ?

On Thu, 2008-05-22 at 19:22 -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> What is it about a reinstall that is so hard that it makes
> putting up with a desktop you find quite lacking for months?

I still have one system running FC4, because it's a major pain to
update.  It's got lots of files, and that'd involve masses of backing up
before attempting it, not to mention getting a new mail server, etc., up
and running on the new system, and not losing any of the old mail.
That's the sort of thing I just don't like to have to do.

As far as I'm concerned, there's only two easy ways to upgrade, and I
don't have the spare cash for either.  Other things are far more
important.

1. Buy a new hard drive, install the new system onto that.  Connect the
   old drive, and copy across what you need.

2. Or, buy a new computer, install onto that.  Connect the old system,
   and copy across what you need.

To update a working system that you depend on really requires backups,
working out what you need to keep between new and old systems, patience,
and plenty of spare time to sort out everything that goes wrong or needs
tinkering with.  And can involve a prolonged period, post update, of
restoring a pile of things that's still only on the backup (gpg keys,
other server customisations, old cruft you kept but thought you didn't
really need again, etc.).

The next server won't have Fedora, I worked out that was inappropriate,
very long ago.  It'll probably be CentOS, seeing how I'm more familiar
with Red Hat than other distros.  Fedora's fine enough for clients,
though.  Though the time frame is still too short for comfort.

--
(This box runs Centos 5.0, my others still run FC 4, 5, 6, & 7, in case that's
 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.