Re: wireless fc8 dell latitude d400

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 7:13 PM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 3:39 PM, Dave Burns <tburns@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Is there a canonical source to RTFM? Googling gets a million hits, no
>> relevance so far.
>>
>> I am trying to connect to a WEP network. I left click on the
>> NetworkManger icon upper right, select 'connect to other wireless
>> network', it opens a dialog, I type in network name, select 128 bit
>> wep and enter the key, hit connect. log contents after that:
>> [root@iprctmp1 mail]#  tail /var/log/messages [...]
>>

> Hey, man, many of us have been there.
>
> Can I ask some basics?
>
> 1. Can you connect to ANY wireless networks, ones without WEP or other
> encryption?

The WEP is the only network I have access to.

> 2. You can try two approaches to get connections.  EITHER use
> NetworkManager or you can try the manual approach.  But both don't
> generally work at the same time.  NetworkManager will wreck your
> manual effort, and your manual effort will frustrate NetworkManager.
>
> To use NetworkManager, use system-config-services to turn ON
> networkManager and turn OFF network and wpa supplicant.  In Fedora 8,
> I'm getting pretty good results with that.  The alternative is to
> turn OFF NetowrkManager, wpa supplicant, and leave network on.

So wpa_supplicant never on, network and NetworkManager pick one not
both. Isn't there an encryption issue with NM? I think I tried with
network off and still no joy, could that be my problem?

Also wpa_supplicant was acting strange - I used every means to stop
it, init would start it again.  It must've gotten into inittab. But I
think my latest reboot has put a stake in its heart.

So the plan is
* make sure network and wwpa_supplicant off, try once more with NM
*if no good, turn off NM, turn on network, fiddle with network-scripts
*if still no good, maybe try wifi-radar
*google iwconfig

> and do the really old fashioned way, the commands like "iwconfig" and
> such that you can google about.
> If you turn off networkmanager, in system-config-network, you can go
> into the wirelss thing and put in your wep key.  If it is hexadecimal,
> and I think most of them will be, you put 0x at the front of the
> string.

Ah! That could have been my problem!

> I once visited a place with a 128 bit key and it made me
> laugh to type it out 0xabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz.  That will get
> written into /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts in a file called
> wlan0-keys or such, and you can study how that is put together.
> Sometimes, I have found it really does help to specify the channel on
> which the router is broadcasting in the setup file.

How would I know the channel?

> 3.  Run "/sbin/iwlist scan" to see a list of wireless access points.
> Does the server you are looking for appear in the way that you expect?

Don't know yet, I'm out of range now. I'll try it tomorrow.

> I don't have the Broadcom card that you have. Mine are all Intel, and
> I know the Broadcoms were slower to receive support.

Geez, this laptop's 3 years old! Guess Dell didn't sell many of them
to linux enthusiasts.

Anyhow, thanks much.

Dave