Re: kde4 problem

subhodip biswas wrote:
hi !

i just upgraded my F8 machine to F9 using an i386 DVD .Problem was
after  Upgrade i was getting kde4 desktop and kde3 panel . So i
removed whole kde using yum and reinstalled kde4 using yum . Now I am
unable to login and stuck in a white screen .
what I am missing out here .

GNOME is suucesfully update .

This sounds very similar (in result, at least) to the problem I posted on the 19th. I still haven't found a resolution:

"I've been using KDE - and I guess it was KDE that started up when I first logged in this morning. It's tough to tell, of course, because the window manager option on the login screen is no longer there (can I get that back somehow?). I tried a number of things within KDE to see if I could resize the display properly - Desktop Resize and Rotate looked like it might help, in that it actually *had* an option for the proper resolution (though it didn't do anything). But then I selected something like "Compiz Manager". I was told to restart the X server, which I did - and now after logging in all I get is a white screen.. I can get to a console session, but if I try to restart the X session I get the white screen again (or worse, a black screen, in which I can type but nothing happens). There seems to be a compiz process still running, and hogging lots of CPU.

I can get to a gnome session only by restarting X to get to the login screen and selecting "other" for username - then I enter my username/password as usual. From here, trying to change the default desktop (using switchdesk) doesn't help - I still get the white screen if I select my username at the login screen.

Clearly, there should be some basic switch I can flip in a config file somewhere, but I don't know what it is. How can I get my KDE back?

 -Don