Re: RAID 1: Dual boot Fedora 9 & XP

Sebastian Gurovich writes:

« HTML content follows »
Is it possible to setup a RAID1 for a new installation of an XP/Fedora9 dual boot system with two new hard-disks: (Seagate 500 GiB 32 Meg buffer)

I want to safeguard both the XP and Fedora partitions by having one disk mirror the other.
Are there any good Fedora 9 guides to follow for this?

Nope. How exactly do you expect Fedora to implement RAID 1 for Windows XP?

I haven't yet purchased the motherboard but I could go for one with a RAID controller so I could also use so-called FAKE RAID. But would I need 1 or 2 controllers and which controllers are open source? I'm really confused about using RAID1 with dual boot and so any help would be much appreciated.

You are confusing three completely different things.

Hardware RAID is where the RAID function is implemented by a dedicated RAID disk controller. Some hardware RAID solutions are operating system-independent. As far as an OS is concerned, Windows or Linux, they see one virtual disk, and the RAID logic is implemented at the hardware level.

Pseudo-hardware RAID is similar, but requires some level of operating system support. Both Windows XP and Linux must have explicit support for the particular RAID hardware.

You'll find very little information on the net regarding hardware or pseudo-hardware RAID support in Linux, for the simple reason that most RAID implementation in Linux use software RAID, or soft-RAID. That's where the Linux kernel itself handles the RAID functionality. Linux soft-RAID works with any hardware. You may, for example, put one IDE and one SCSI hard drive, of the same size, into a RAID-1 configuration with Linux soft-RAID.

Soft-RAID has been, traditionally, the best supported RAID in Linux, for the simple reason that no special RAID hardware is required, and it works with pretty much anything.

Of course, Windows XP knows nothing about Linux soft-RAID, and it's going to be rather difficult to find a hardware and pseudo-hardware RAID solution that works both in Windows and Linux.