Re: DHS Open Source Hardening Project

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 09:58:28 -0400,
  "McGuffey, David C." <DAVID.C.MCGUFFEY@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So...in light of those two big glaring problems/failures, automation is
> being attempted on a number of fronts, with the DHS program apparently
> being only one.

The automation part only flags the questionable spots that need to be
looked at and provide a hint as to what to look for. Someone still has
to wade through all of reports to see which things are really a problem.

> Since I'm actively using Fedora at home and in an office lab, I was very
> interested in whether the DHS (or any) tool development program was
> providing a benefit to the open source community, and the security of
> the resultant products.

The NSA's SELinux contribution is pretty significant, though I don't know
if DHS is funding any of the ongoing work with it.