Problems with VNC

I had recently updated a dell server from fedora core 6 to fedora 9. I had to make a clean installation because I had problems with the ATI graphics card when I try update.

The main problem is that I cannot set up vncserver no matter what I do. I have made every script depending on vnc making looks like the version in fedora core 6, I also try to follows every guide that I found googling but no one as solves my problem.

I can connect to vnc but instead of getting the Desktop I get a gray pattern covering all my desktop. Can anyone give me a hint how to solve this?

My xstartup looks like this:

#!/bin/sh

# Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:

 unset SESSION_MANAGER

 exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

[ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup

[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources

xsetroot -solid grey

vncconfig -iconic &

xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &

#twm &

gnome-session &

and my vncservers looks like this:

VNCSERVERS="1:gsunit 2:bsantos"

VNCSERVERARGS[1]="-geometry 1280x1024 -depth 16"

VNCSERVERARGS[2]="-geometry 1280x1024 -depth 16"

I also have opened the firewall ports 5901 and 5902 both tcp and udp and defined the passwords using the vncpasswd.

Does anyone have an idea why this is happening? Thanks in advance,

Bruno Santos

logo_biocant

Bioinformatics Unit

Biocantpark,  Núcleo 04, Lote 3