Re: upgrade to fedora 9 bash fork: Resource temporarily unavailable

On 19May2008 18:04, mark <markkicks@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 4:27 PM, Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| > On 19May2008 10:36, mark <markkicks@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| > | In /var/log/messages  this is the only weird message
| > | May 19 10:32:16 XXX kernel: possible SYN flooding on port 80. Sending cookies.
| > Are you running a web server? It may be forking like mad trying to
| > service these requests...
|
| Yes, I am running a web server nginx with 4 worker process. It is
| serving only static files and like 70-100 requests/second. The CPU
| load is really low.. I even rebooted the machine, load average is low
|
| uptime
|  18:03:34 up  7:44,  2 users,  load average: 0.26, 0.24, 0.24

Fine.

| > | have only 425 processes running
| > | ps aux | wc -l
| > | 425
| > Does "ps axf" tell you anything useful/unusual? I find it more helpful
| > than "aux" because it shows the parent/child tree.
| no, there is nothing unusual!
| ps axf | wc -l
| 426

Sorry, I meant without the "| wc -l"; actually to eyeball the whole listing
as a tree looking for weirdness. Though if 425 is normal for you, probably
this will not reveal anything.

| > Hmm, another thought. See what ulimit says about your process limit;
| > maybe F9 have some default limits that F8 did not.
| I increased open files in F8 to 32768, that is preserved here in F9
|
| How do I check my process limit? this is ulimit -a output
[...]
| max user processes              (-u) 1024

Well, that seems to be more than 425. Anyone else got any ideas?

Just for completeness, to eliminate the rror message being a lie,
can you reproduce the fork failure using strace, eg:

  strace -f -e trace=process 2>strace.out some-script-that-will-fail.sh

and verify from the "strace.out" file that in fact it is fork() that
fails.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

People who write "obtuse" to mean a mixture of "obscure" and  "abstruse" are
displaying their own obtuseness. - Eric Minch <minch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>