Re: multimonitor setup on F9?

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 2:55 PM, Konstantin Svist <fry.kun@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed F9 from a Live KDE CD onto a laptop.
> Problem is, I can't get the system to use an external monitor/projector as
> extended desktop. Whenever I plug it in and turn F9 on, it resizes the
> laptop panel down to external monitor resolution (1024x768) but I get no
> picture on the projector.
> When I go to system settings -> display (?), it shows me that I have LVDS
> and VGA enabled to the same resolution (1024x768) - and it lets me select
> separate resolutions, but doesn't allow me to apply the changes. When using
> krandrtray, there's an option to turn off clone mode and set up separate
> resolutions, but that doesn't make it work, either.
>
> Oddly enough, when I go to tty1, the projector turns on and clones that
> output.

In F9, the old multihead approach (Xinerama) is replaced by xrandr,
and I think the point and click configurator is not keeping up. Last
friday, I posted a message here about how to make a dual head display
work in panorama mode. Look for a message called "dual head howto for
xrandr; problem with window manager, no more merged fb or xinerama
flags..."  (I do not know how to give you the address to that post)
You'd only need to change the one setting in xorg.conf.

Basically, run xrandr to see the device names, as you have done, then
run xrandr from the command line with the desired resolution, then
translate those details into the xorg.conf.

pj

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science