Re: F7 Motherboard change

Marco Maccaferri wrote:
Hi.

I had a motherboard failure and since it is out of production I had to replace it with a completely different model, including processor and memory. Now the Fedora 7 installation won't boot anymore and stops with a kernel panic because it can't find the root partition.

From the boot messages looks like it is still loading the old motherboard's drivers so it can't find the new hard drive controller. I tought that kudzu should be responsible of detecting new or changed hardware, but seems to me that it is all done from initrd and kudzu never loads.

Kudzu can not help in this case because the system can not access the file system in order to run kudzu or make any changes. It is one of those problems where you need the new driver is order to boot the system in order to boot the system and install the new driver.

It is possible to manually set the driver from the grub loader ?
Or any way to "reset" initrd and let it redetect the hardware ?

There are several ways to do it, but probably the easiest would be to boot with the install media, and do an upgrade install. I have not had to do this, but there have been a couple of threads on this list covering it.

The new motherboard is an ASUS P5K with a Core 2 Duo E8400 processor, the old motherboard was an ASUS A8V-E Deluxe with an Athlon64 processor.

The rescue CD boots correctly and sees the new controller, but it keeps asking me where to find the installation images. I don't have the installation images around. I'm not familiar with this tool so any help is really appreciated.

I think it is asking for what ever you installed from - the DVD, or what ever you used.

Mikkel