Re: Microphones not working

David Hough wrote:
I'm trying to set up a laptop with a VoIP softphone (I've tried both
Zoiper and Skype) and it's proving impossible to get it to work with
microphones. As I can't get my desktop to work properly with microphones
either, I'm assuming it's software-related.

So, a brief summary: Fedora 8 with KDE, default sound setup (i.e.
pulseaudio/alsa) various different soundcards including a USB one that I
know works just fine on a Windows machine. The system recognises the USB
input port (based on syslog entries) and is happy to assign it as input
to the application but no sound gets in. Playback is fine.

I suspect it could be related to permissions in /dev but I tried chmod
666 on /dev/dsp* and it still didn't want to play. Any clues as to what
to look for next?

As an aside, I remember trying to get Audacity to take sound input on my
desktop and that didn't work either.

If you were running just alsa I would say unmute the mike input in alsamixer and use the record program (rec) from the sox package. My solution to pulse is to remove it, I have never found any benefit from it, and a ton of things don't work (see the many "no sound" posts here and elsewhere). In any case I've recorded dozens of records and tapes using rec, so that's a known working part of the process. I usually use audacity later for tuneup.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>