Re: A couple of gnomes walk into a bar...

Tom Horsley wrote:
...and one asks Do you know what "Clean up by name" could
possibly mean?

It appears to mean "automatically arrange icons" (judging
from experimental evidence :-), but I can't imagine why
the description "Clean up by name" would convey that
idea to anyone.

If a better wording can be suggested, you can file a bug report.

The other asks "Do you have any idea how to find out the
name of a program invoked by a menu item?"

There doesn't appear to be a "Properties" choice when I right
click on a menu entry. So far, the best way I've found is
to right click, pick "add this to panel", then right click
the new panel item, which *does* have a Properties choice
(then remove the new panel item).

Another way to do this is right click on the menu bar, click edit menus where you can find out the program name. The menu editor itself is called alacarte.

Rahul