Re: cannot set background to new image (Gnome on F9)

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 4:09 PM, Sjoerd Mullender <sjoerd@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On F8 I used the package wp_tray (wallpaper tray) to change my background at
> fixed intervals, but on F9 that doesn't work anymore. What's more, I also
> can't change the background image using the System -> Preferences -> Look
> and Feel -> Appearance dialog, and also not using the command line
>
> gconftool-2 -t string -s /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename
> /path/to/image.jpg
>
> all of which used to work.
>
> When I log in again (i.e. restart of X server and of the Gnome environment)
> the last image that was set as background appears as the new background.
>
> Has anybody else seen this?
>
> Even though I usually use the proprietary nVidia driver (172.08 Beta), it
> also doesn't work with the open source nv driver, so it's not that.

Try turning off the xfs service. 'service xfs stop' on the command
line and do a ctrl-alt-backspace to restart X only (not reboot). If
that helps you, make sure you turn it off permanently on all runlevels
using the system-config-services tool. That cleared up many issues
like this for me due to a X-xfs bug causing many things not to start,
including nautilus.

If that doesn't help, I don't know what's up on your system.

/Mike