Re: F8 -> F9 Preupgrade Issues

On Fri, 16 May 2008 22:07:36 +0100
"Dave Cross" <davorg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've just spent a few hours trying to upgrade from F8 to F9 using
> preupgrade. It still hasn't worked and I no longer have a working
> Linux installation. I'm typing this on Windows. Here's my story.
>
> I ran preupgrade yesterday and downloaded all of the required RPMs (or
> so I thought). This evening I booted into the installation procedure.
>
> The first problem was that the path for the stage 2 image was wrong. I
> had to reboot into my old Fedora installation and edit the grub.conf
> to add a slash to the front of the path. It was:
>
>   stage2=hd:sda6:boot/upgrade/stage2.img
>
> And I changed it to:
>
>   stage2=hd:sda6:/boot/upgrade/stage2.img
>
> I see from other messages here that this is quite a common issue.
>
> I rebooted into the upgrade procedure again and it started running.
> But then it told me that it needed to pull some more RPMs from the
> net. But unfortunately, the minimal system that was running didn't
> recognise my Centrino card so it had no network access. After a while
> it timed out and told me that it was missing the kernel RPM.
>
> I dug out an old Buffalo wireless card which is supported by the
> standard kernel and tried again. We got past the previous problem, but
> then it warned me that it couldn't find a boot loader in my old
> installation. I told it to create a new one.
>
> The upgrade procedure then went on. And on. At one point it told me
> that it was doing some post-installation clean-up which might "take a
> while". That "while" took about an hour.
>
> Finally it finished. But it gave me one final error message, saying
> (again) that it couldn't find a kernel and that therefore it wouldn't
> write a new boot loader configuration. I rebooted, expecting to be
> able to boot into my old kernel and try to work out what the problem
> is.
>
> But that's not what happened. It turns out that my grub.conf _had_
> been updated. And now it contains only two entries - the Windows on
> that I'm currently using and the preupgrade installation one. There's
> not one to boot into Linux.
>
> So here I am on Windows. I've installed Explore2fs so I can read (and
> write to) my Linux partition. I can edit my grub.conf, but I'm not
> sure what I need to add. I can find the vmlinuz file in /boot but
> there's no initrd.img file.
>
> Currently my favourite plan is to download a live image, boot that and
> try to patch it up from there.
>
> Unless anyone has any better suggestions.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dave...

Yup - you'll wanna consider the idea of a text install. I did much the
same but kept having "Out of range" when it tried to go into X for the
upgrade/install.

I have a pretty basic GForce card (254 meg of ram) and an Acer 19 wide
panel. I had no issues with an F8 install but 9 was horrid.

After messing with the text install then finally setting inittab to run
level 5, I was off and running.

I wanted to pull off an upgrade but I ended up doing too much damage to
the F8 install I had to go with a new install. Fortunately I use
BackupPC (under Ubuntu Server) so I had what I needed backed up.

Unlike you - I don't use Windows, so the low-ended Pentium I have works
well (BackupPC) in my case for backup and restore.

All in all now that it's all installed, I like 9. I do wish
though that the graphical GDM config tool was here.

I absolutely HATE the new 9 log on window. Perhaps there will be an
interim release (like 9.1) that will address most of these issues that
not only I, but others seem to be having.

--
Best regards,

Chris

	"There's no place like 127.0.0.1"