Re: F9: The good and the bad

lanas <lanas <at> securenet.net> writes:
>  * Add/Remove Software utility
>  - The Add/Remove software utility shows ´Downloading files´ endlessly
>    (internet connection is functional)
>  - Has no detailed feddback on what's going on
>  - Cannot do several tasks at once (waiting for other tasks to
>    complete) whereas kyum can.
>  Result: no software can be installed using this utility.
>
>  Is this the utility that got a spotlight in F9 new features ?

Yes. A new version (0.2.0) is being worked on, hopefully that will be better.

>   - Konsole is no longer transparent whereas it was with F8
>
>   Konsole reports that the graphic capabilities are not good enough to
>   support transparency whereas F8 had no problem with that (on same
>   computer)

Konsole in KDE 3 used fake transparency, i.e. it blitted the desktop background
and recolored it, that won't look correct if there are other windows behind
Konsole. Konsole in KDE 4 uses true transparency through the X Composite
extension, but that only works if you use a compositing window manager. If you
enable desktop effects for KWin in systemsettings, it should work. (Compositing
is disabled by default in KWin because it doesn't work for everyone yet.)

>   - Mouse rotary scroll button does not (worked with F8)

I'm not sure what's up with that one.

>   A quite slow glxgears reports:
[snip]
>   Video is not so fast, perhaps slower than F8.  glxgears is not
>   right.  KDE looks nice, but is slow.

That sounds like an X.Org X11 issue, I can't say much about that.

>  * Missing apps ?
>
>    - My favorite kyum is found by the yum installer but... kyum cannot
>    run because is misses kdesu.
>
>     yum install kdesu
>     Parsing package install arguments
>     No package kdesu available.
>     Nothing to do

kdesu is part of kdebase3, I have no idea why the dependencies didn't drag it
in automatically, but "yum install kdebase3" should bring it back.

>   - same with kpdf

KPDF has been replaced by Okular (in kdegraphics, like KPDF was). Okular also
replaces KGhostView and KDVI, it can view all those formats and more.

>  * KDE (category: Bummer)
>    - Add Widgets widget - how to make it go away ?

You can't.

>    - Multiple desktops - not easy to find where to add desktops.
>      Havent't found it yet. Bummer.

As far as I know, there's a setting for it somewhere, but I don't know where.

>    - taskbar - not easy to find how to make it disappear
>      automatically. Havent't found it yet. Bummer.

This one might not be implemented yet, sorry. The taskbar code has been
completely rewritten in KDE 4.

>    - auto mouse focus - not easy to find. Havent't found it
>      yet. Bummer.

This one is supposed to still be there, try "kcmshell4 kwinfocus" maybe?

>   - KDE System Settings: Search is broken as far as it cannot return
>     anything for ´keyboard´ whereas previous F8 KDE reporte a list of
>     possibilities.  Is this an upgrade ?

Hmmm, improved search is supposed to be one of the highlights of System
Settings over the old KControl...

>    emacs -fn "DejaVu LGC Sans Mono-12"
>
>    The system reports that the font is not found.  What gives ?

I don't know, sorry.

>   * VmWare (category: very, very useful)
>
>     vmware cannot be installed per se because there are no sources
>     available for that kernel in the repositories.
>
>    uname -a
>    Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.25-14.fc9.i686 #1 SMP Thu May 1
>    06:28:41 EDT 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
>    And the listing has:
>
>    kernel-headers.i386 2.6.25.3-18.fc9 installed
>
>    Why aren't the headers the same ?  And, where are they stored ?
>    Maybe I could install VmWare with these.

1. You need kernel-devel to build kernel modules, not kernel-headers.
2. You have to update your kernel to the latest version, you'll get a matching
kernel-devel for that.

>  * Konqueror browser
>   - 'right-click' and 'back' does not go back anymore
>
>   I wonder what kind of upgrade in functionality this is.

Sounds like a bug.

>  * Printer
>
>   The two network printers couldn't be discovered automatically.

Probably because the firewall blocks the CUPS UDP port. Try opening UDP:631 in
system-config-firewall.

>  * Shares
>
>   The two CIFS shares can not be mounted.  Still have to investigate
>   on that one.

Probably also the firewall's fault, try opening the SMB port.

Unfortunately, these protocols appear to require incoming connections even on
the client side, the default firewall configuration doesn't like that.

        Kevin Kofler