Re: Fedora 9 Everything Spin released

Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
Fedora Unity is proud to announce the release of the Fedora 9 Everything Spin!

Go to http://spins.fedoraunity.org/spins to get the bits!

The Everything Spin includes everything available at the time of the release of Fedora 9. It is the same, really, it is. Just more. Way, way more! And the more Fedora, the better!

The i386 as well as x86_64 Fedora 9 Everything Spin is rather large, yet sized a fashionable 4 DVD's. You can imagine carrying those around as your complete, instant, bootable and installable mirror of everything Fedora has to offer -at the moment Fedora 9 was released. Of course you could just use a USB Harddrive, or even USB thumbdrive (16GB), but that wouldn't make the Everything Spin any more fun now would it?

Haven't had a chance to look at this, but is this still based on old single layer DVD sizing? While not all old DVD burners will burn D/L DVD, based on a sample size of 12 old burners and players, they all seem to read D/L just fine.

And Blu-ray won the HD battle, Linux supports using the burners, how about a real everything on a single media release?

Is this really "everything" or will we have to go to repositories in free countries for working media players and best encryption?

Fedora Unity normally includes a CD version "for those of us that do not have DVD drives", as we use to say in our Re-Spin release announcements, but not this time;

This time Fedora Unity includes a 23 (!) CD version of the Everything Spin, *just for kicks* ;-) With Fedora 8, the Everything Spin was just 19 CDs, so there's 4 discs of extra, new, shiny software! You can see how this looks when you're installing from it, here[1].

I'd like to see these discs piled up at every booth showing off the enormous amount of available Free and Open Source Software :P

The last SLS Linux distribution was on 55 floppies, maybe... no, guess not! ;-)

Undoubtfully, some people will give away the CD version of the Everything Spin as a birthday present. Also, it reminds people why it is they need to upgrade their CD-ROM to DVD players ;-)

Sadly the rest of the family went to ubuntu to get their various peripherals working. No CDs in their stocking this Christmas.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>