F9 text consoles

Have installed F9 on a couple of new PC's and am having some head-scratching
behavior with regard to the text-consoles.  Systems boot up just fine, and
the GUI works no problem.  However trying to get into any of the text
consoles (ie. CTRL-ALT-F1, F2, F3, etc) the monitor just pops up a
"no-signal" and goes into power save.  I know the text consoles are actually
there, and working, because if I blind type and log in on one of the text
consoles and run a command of some sort, I can see the task executing if I
do a ps from a console opened in the GUI.  The monitors do just fine in text
mode through the initial part of the boot before the GUI part of the boot
sequence starts... after that nothing.

This one's at the top of my "never seen that before" list... anyone have any
suggestions?

Cheers,