Re: top for hard disk usage

lsof will show you what files are open and what process is accessing
them. Not what you want, but it would get you part-way there. You
could do some grepping and find out which processes have  lots of
files open, or diff the results over time and find out which processes
access lots of files. Won't tell you about processes that have one
file open and are constantly reading and writing it.